Tewksbury Public Library sets programming for Banned Books Week
By Nicole Goolishian, Assistant Director, Tewksbury Public Library
At the Tewksbury Public Library, we believe all members of our community have the right to read what they want. We strive to provide free and open access to stories for all ages and interests. To celebrate the freedom to read all year long, TPL is hosting a read-in for all ages in conjunction with public libraries across the state during Banned Books Week in October.
Join members of your community and celebrate your freedom to read on Thursday, October 5 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the first floor Meeting Room. No registration is required for this event.
Bring a book or audiobook or borrow one right from the shelves, pull up a cozy chair and enjoy a relaxing atmosphere themed to different genres:
• 10 a.m. to noon: A Day with Beach Reads
• Noon to 2 p.m.: Forest Fantasy
• 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.: Cozy Mysteries for Fall
The library Meeting Room will transform into a celebratory landscape dedicated to stories. Stay for as long or as little as you’d like to catch up on your reading, log your minutes as part of the third annual Reading Rivals challenge, and celebrate access to what you want to read. Themed refreshments will be served throughout the day. Stop by for themed giveaways (while supplies last) and raffles including gift cards to local businesses like Mahoney’s Garden Center.
For more information, please visit the TPL event calendar.
Digital participation is also welcomed. Download an eBook or audiobook through Libby (free with your TPL card) and use #LetFreedomReadMA to post pictures to social media. Don’t have a library card? Signing up at TPL is quick and easy, but if you can’t make to the library by Oct. 5, you can sign up for an eCard in a few quick steps at tewksburypl.org.
Looking to learn more about book challenges in the United States? Check out the resources available on the library’s website at tewksburypl.org.
Library staff are here to answer your questions! Please visit tewksburypl.org or call 978-640- 4490 for assistance.
Looking for more from TPL? Check out these fun and free events coming up in October:
• 20s & 30s: In Person Barbie Party, Saturday, October 14th, 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. Register here.
• Adults: In Person Coffee & Conversation: A Visit with Newhouse Wildlife Rescue, Thursday, October 26th, 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Register here.
• Children: In Person Kids Concert with Rockabye Beats, Saturday, October 14th, 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. No registration required. More information here.
• Teens: In Person Five Nights at Freddy’s Party for grades 6-12, Wednesday, October 25th, 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. Register here.
Library hours are Monday through Wednesday 10am-9pm, Thursday and Friday 10am-5pm, Saturday 9am-5pm, and Sunday 1pm-5pm. The digital library through Libby is available 24/7.