The Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) will be conducting overnight milling operations along Main Street (Route 38) in Tewksbury. The work is scheduled to be conducted in three phases, and will occur nightly on Sunday, May 8; Monday, May 9; and Tuesday, May 10, during overnight hours from 8:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. the following morning.
All work is expected to conclude by 5:00 a.m. on Wednesday, May 11.
The phasing, location and schedule for the milling operations will be as follows:
• Phase 1 – Milling operations will take place from Colonial Drive to Chandler Street on Sunday, May 8, from 8:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. the following morning. Southbound traffic will be detoured right to Chandler Street, left onto Foster Road and left onto Colonial Drive.
• Phase 2 – Milling operations will take place from Chandler Street to Pleasant Street on Monday, May 9, from 8:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. the following morning. Southbound traffic will be detoured to East Street, left onto Lee Street and left onto Chandler Street.
• Phase 3 – Milling operations will take place from Pleasant Street to Nelson Street on Tuesday, May 10, from 8:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. the following morning. Southbound traffic will be detoured onto Summer Street and back to Pleasant Street.
Police details will be deployed to safely direct traffic through the work zone utilizing localized signed detours and bi-directional traffic patterns.
This work is part of a $4.6 million project for resurfacing and related work along a section of Route 38. The work is expected to be completed in early fall 2023. Appropriate signage, law enforcement details and messaging will be in place to guide drivers through the work area.
Drivers who are traveling through the affected areas should expect delays, reduce speed and use caution.
All scheduled work is weather dependent and subject to change without notice. For more information on traffic conditions, travelers are also encouraged to:
• Dial 511 and select a route to hear real–time conditions.
• Visit www.mass511.com, a website which provides real-time traffic and incident advisory information and allows users to subscribe to text and email alerts for traffic conditions.
• Follow MassDOT on Twitter @MassDOT to receive regular updates on road and traffic conditions.
• Download MassDOT’s GoTime mobile app and view real-time traffic conditions before setting out on the road.